Skip to main content


The Legal Studies Program Assistant, Ann Kelchner, can answer questions about Legal Studies, collect GFILS applications, review and sign petitions to graduate, assist with major and minor declarations, and collect elective credit petitions. Email her to ask a question or to set up an appointment.

Prof. Joanna Grisinger, the Director of Undergraduate Studies, can answer questions about Legal Studies, review and sign petitions to graduate, and handle elective petition forms and study abroad forms. Stop in during her office hours.

Students can easily track their progress in the major or minor by completing the appropriate major or minor worksheet:

 Students wanting advice about law school should contact Northwestern Career Advancement.

Legal Studies does not provide legal advice. For inquiries regarding legal assistance, contact Northwestern School of Law’s Bluhm Legal Clinic by phone (312-503-8576) or email ( Another resource for legal matters is the American Bar Association.

Expand all

Frequently Asked Questions:

How do I declare the minor?

Once you have completed (or are in the process of taking) 206 "Law and Society", you can make an appointment the the Program Assistant to declare the minor. You will complete a quick Declaration of Minor form, get it signed, then you'll drop it off to the Weinberg Office of Undergraduate Advising at 1922 Sheridan Road.

Once you declare the minor, you will have pre-registration access to Legal Studies courses and you will be added to the Legal Studies Majors/Minors listserv.

How do I declare the major?

You must first apply to the major and get accepted before you can declare the major. Major applications are open in the Winter quarter, and you may only apply if you have completed (or are in the process of taking) 206 "Law and Society". Read more about the application process on the How to Apply page.

How do I Petition to Graduate with a major or minor in Legal Studies?

You must first complete the appropriate major or minor worksheet (see options above) then make an appointment with Ann Kelchner, the undergraduate program assistant, to review the worksheet and get your petition forms signed.

It is recommended you petition about a year before you plan to graduate. For the forms, deadlines, and more information about petitioning to graduate, please visit the Registrar’s website.

How do I drop the minor or switch from a major to a minor, or vice versa?

To drop the minor, or to switch from the major or adjunct major to a minor, simply make an appointment with Ann Kelchner, the Undergraduate Program Assistant. You will compete a Declaration form, get it signed, then you’ll take the form to the Weinberg Office of Undergraduate Advising at 1922 Sheridan Road so they can update your record.

In order to switch from a minor to the adjunct major or major, you'll have to go through the major application process.

Note that the double-counting rules for courses change a lot when you switch between the adjunct major, standalone major, and the minor. Review the double-counting rules on the Weinberg website.

Can I double-count my Legal Studies courses with another major or minor?


Double-counting rules can get very complicated, but the Weinberg website offers a great FAQs page to help you determine what's allowed. Generally speaking:

  • Legal Studies Majors - may not double-count courses
  • Legal Studies Adjunct Majors - may double-count a maximum of 2 courses
  • Legal Studies Minors - may not double-count courses

Note that you may double-count a Legal Studies course if it is counting towards the "Related Courses" component of another major or minor. (Related Courses in other majors are quire rare.)

Legal Studies courses may count towards Weinberg Distribution Course requirements.

If you are not a Weinberg student, the rules could be less strict. You may find that the chart here is very helpful:  double-counting for non-Weinberg students.

If you have further questions about double-counting, please do not hesitate to contact the Program Assistant for help and clarification:

Back to top